Trial ended April 2021.
Canine Soft Tissue Sarcoma
Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound in Dogs with Soft Tissue Sarcomas
Purpose of the study:
- To evaluate a new form of ultrasound to measure changes in blood flow within soft tissue sarcomas (STS) treated with toceranib and cyclophosphamide as a predictor of benefit, and compare ultrasound with standard tests like CT scan and biopsy
Primary Eligibility Criteria:
- Dogs with a confirmed diagnosis of soft tissue sarcoma that is at least 3 cm in diameter and accessible for biopsy
- Good function of liver and kidneys, acceptable blood cell counts, and free of severe underlying disease
- Three week washout from chemotherapy; 6 weeks from radiation therapy; no prior treatment with toceranib or cyclophosphamide (or similar drugs)
- Pets must come to CSU for all visits related to the clinical trial
- Once enrolled, dogs will start treatment with toceranib and cyclophosphamide; this study does not have a placebo group – all dogs will receive treatment with toceranib and cyclophosphamide.
- Dogs will undergo small biopsies before treatment starts, and 6 weeks after starting
- CT scans will be performed before treatment, and 6 weeks after starting treatment
- Ultrasound examinations with a novel contrast agent that is injected intravenously will be performed before treatment, and 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 8 weeks after treatment is started
- Follow appointment schedule required by study protocol
- Administer oral medications at home to your pet
- Toceranib and cyclophosphamide will be provided at no cost, including after completion of the initial 8-week study period
- All procedures related to the clinical trial will be covered by the study as well as treatment of any side effects that occur
- Following completion of the clinical trial, a credit of $1000 will be applied to the VTH account for continued treatment at CSU
If you have further questions about any of our clinical trials, please submit an online consult form. Your consult will then be directed to our trials team. Requests are typically returned within 5 business days.